Mentawai Islandsis part of the province of West Sumatra which since 1999 is set to be a county. The position of the Mentawai Islands in the middle of the Indian Ocean make an awesome sea surrounded by nature and perfect for marine tourism. Mentawai Islands have become one of the famous tourist destinations adventure, cultural tourism, and marine tourism particularly of interest surfers surfing at home and abroad.
The majority of inhabitants of this archipelago is derived from the tribe Mentawai Islands of Siberut by the number of approximately 30,000 people. Every family in the Mentawai Islands consists of 5-15 people who live in the village and in the fields near the forest they farm. Mentawai own traditional houses known as uma.
Why I Should That's where?
Mentawai Islands have been around five hundred thousand years ago, but there are no clues or evidence when the first people arrived in these islands. Most of the inhabitants are still adheres to animistic beliefs and the remaining adherents of Christianity and Islam.
Originally locals believed in the ideologies that believe Sabulungan everything from humans to apes, rocks and weather have a separate spirit and roam at will. Sikerei or traditional ceremonies by shamans usually performed during weddings and when entering a new house in order to ward off evil spirits.
Mentawai tribe that became the original inhabitants of this beautiful island. If there are similarities with the observed Nias tribe or tribal Enggano the Proto-Malay culture. The tribe known as gatherers and the first time they have not learned anthropologists know how to grow crops.
Mentawai tribe have distinctive traditions tattooed all over his body where the relevant roles and social status of its users.
The tattoo is made of sugarcane and coconut charcoal dyes described using nails and needles as well as two pieces of wood as a cushion and a hammer. Traditional Mentawai tattoo process known to be very painful.
For those of you who like to surf the Mentawai Islands is the perfect place for adrenaline challenge. On the island there are several points surfing the waves are big and tall, as in the village of Bosua who have the waves reach 3 meter.You can go it approximately 4 hours by speedboat from Tuapejat District. Although the beach is rocky but perfect waves roll and has been popular with surfers.
In addition to beautiful, Mentawai also play an important role for conservation. Since 1981, the United Nations Educational, Scientific, and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) set Siberut Island in the Mentawai as one of biosphere reserves so that its existence must be protected and kept away from exploitation.
Plus the four exotic Siberut Mentawai primates endemic, ie Simakobu pigs or monkeys (Simias concolor), bilou or dwarf siamang (Hylobates klosii), Joja or Mentawai langur (Presbytis potenziani), and the Mentawai macaque (Macaca pagensis).
To investigate this wealth of Mentawai primates, Primate Center University of Gottingen, Germany, in collaboration with the Institut Pertanian Bogor establish Siberut Conservation Project.
How Do I get there?
Price tikenya Rp105.000, - Rp125.000 up, -. There are additional vessels that operate on the first and second Sunday of each month. Ambu-Ambu ship departed on Saturday evening from Muara Padang and back of Siberut to Padang on Sunday night.
If you decide to depart from the Minangkabau International Airport to rent a small plane such as Tiger Air or SMAC to Tuapejat Sipora Island. After that, you can rent a boat for a trip around 3 to 4 hours to Muara Siberut.
How In The accommodations?
You are visiting for surfing, simple homestay available in some villages, such as: Nyangnyang Beach, Coral Beach Bajat, Karonik Beach, and Beach District Pananggelat Mainut in South Siberut. Bosua Katiet beach in District Sipora, and South Beach. There is also the West Coast in the District of North Pagai.
If you just want to live while in Mentawai without visiting other places around the Mentawai Islands
When should I get there?
Know Before You Go
- In Mentawai, surfing is usually done in Nyangnyang Island, Coral Uniquely bodies, Masilok, Botik, and Mainuk. Tourist arrivals in the peak months of July and August. At that time in the Mentawai waves reached a height of 7 meters.
- Waves in the Mentawai islands surf-by various organizations-is the third best universal after Hawaii and Tahiti.
- Scattered at least 400 points surfing in the Mentawai Islands. Beraggam waves and challenging, even some rolls included in the category of extreme waves that surfers sought from various corners of the world.
- Mentawai Islands also offers attractions trekking inland to take pristine tropical forest, enjoying the lifestyle of the indigenous peoples who live peacefully in it. Mentawai is an area of unspoiled by human hands and a lot of modern infrastructure.
- When you visit the Mentawai then be treated to the feel of an ancient civilization where the Neolithic era tribes in these islands are not familiar with metalworking and farming, not even the fabric weave technique. So, you'll see the difference in cultures with Minangkabau people of West Sumatra on the ground.
- Mentawai Islands became one of the destinations of adventure, culture and maritime. In these islands are also cultural artifacts some very interesting villages to visit, such as the Village Madobak, Ugai Village, and the Village Matotonan. To achieve these three villages then you need to go through the river path and footpath route-Muara Siberut Rokdok-Madobak-Ugai-Matotonan with the distance of about 5-6 hours.
- Visit the village where here Madobak famous waterfall Kulu Kubuk with two levels as high as 70 meters. In addition to visiting the waterfall in the village of Kulu Kubuk Madobak or border area Siberut National Park in the village of Matotonan, you can interact with the local people's daily lives and participate in their traditional ceremonies.
- You can also visit Lake Rua Oinan located in the woods in the hamlet Saumanganyak. The lake is shaped estuary surrounded by large trees.