Meru Betiri National Parkknown as lowland tropical forest in the province of East Java, South, have high biodiversity, including the wealth of flora with different types of medicinal plants function, fauna habitat and as objects and natural tourist attraction, spread on an area of 58,000 ha, with a land area of 57,155 ha and 845 ha waters.
Meru Betiri National Park is famous as the last habitat of the tiger stripes Java (Panthera tigris sondaica) are rare and protected. Until now, these animals can never be found again, and thought to have become extinct. Extinction of tigers camouflage Java means extinction of three species of the eight tiger species in the world (in the Iranian Caspian tiger, the Bali tiger and the Java tiger in Indonesia).
Meru Betiri National Park initially existed as a forest lindung.then by 1982 Decree of the Minister of Agriculture Number: 529/Kpts/Um/6/1982 dated June 21, 1982 the Wildlife Meru Betiri expanded to 58,000 ha. This expansion includes Bandealit Plantation area and New Sukamade covering 2155 ha, as well as the northern areas of protected forest and marine waters along the South Coast area of 845 ha.
Why should I get there?
Additionally Meru Betiri National Park is home to the last habitat of Javan tiger stripes (Panthera tigris sondaica). Animals were never to be found again and is thought to have become extinct following the other three types of tiger have become extinct Caspian tiger in advance ie from Iran, Bali tiger and the Javan tiger from Indonesia. In the world there are 8 species of tigers, and Indonesia is the one that has the kind of diverse.
Rare and protected flora here is Balanhopora fungosa the plant species of parasites are only found around Green Bay and Bandealit.at Meru Betiri National Park there are 29 species of mammals and 180 species of birds, all of them including protected animals.
These animals include turtles cracked / Ridel (Lepidochelys olivacea), banteng (Bos javanicus javanicus), long-tailed monkeys (Macaca fascicularis), Java tiger (Panthera tigris sondaicus), leopard (Panthera pardus melas), ajag (Cuon alpinus javanicus), red-tailed flying squirrels (Iomys horsfieldii), peacock (Pavo muticus), leatherback (Dermochelys coriacea), hawksbill (Eretmochelys imbricata), green turtle (Chelonia mydas), cat (Prionailurus javanensis bengalensis), deer ( timorensis Cervus russa), (Cervus unicolor), Accipiter trivirgatus, Falco moluccensis, Hieraaetus kienerii, Otus lempiji, Glaucidium castanopterum, eagle Spizaetus alboniger.
While the plants that inhabit about 293 types are: flower raflesia (Rafflesia zollingeriana), several other plant species such as mangrove (Rhizophora sp.), Lagerstroemia (Lagerstroemia speciosa), Pulai (Alstonia scholaris), bendo (Artocarpus elasticus), fire-flame (Avicennia sp.), hibiscus (Hibiscus tiliaceus), nyamplung (Calophyllum inophyllum), Rengas (Gluta renghas), and various herbs.
Additionally, Meru Betiri National Park has the potential protected animals, including 29 species of mammals and 180 species of birds. They are neat animals (Bos javanicus javanicus), long-tailed macaques (Macaca fascicularis), leopard (Panthera pardus melas), ajag (Cuon alpinus javanicus), cat (Prionailurus javanensis bengalensis), deer (Cervus timorensis russa), flying squirrel Red Tails (Iomys horsfieldii), peacock (Pavo muticus), leatherback (Dermochelys coriacea), hawksbill (Eretmochelys imbricata), green turtle (Chelonia mydas), and turtles Ridel / fission (Lepidochelys olivacea).
Some interesting locations to visit in the national park include Rajegwesi Beach. At the beach, you can do marine tourism, swimming, observing animals and plants and cultural tourism (traditional fishing).
In the meadow Sumbersari, can be seen various animals like sambar, deer, antelope. Sukamade beaches suitable for camping activities, wind surfing, and observation of flora and fauna, especially turtles are nesting activity. The forest exploration, marine, and swimming can be done in Green Bay.
How Do I get there?
- Jember - Ambulu - Curahnongko - Bandealit at about 64 Km from the Jember, can be reached in 1.5 hours.
- Jember - Tile - Jajag - Pesanggaran - Sarongan - Sukamade along 103 km, can be reached within 3.5 - 4 hours.
- Denpasar - Banyuwangi - Tile - Jajag - Pesanggaran - Sarongan - Sukamade
How In The accommodations?
When should I get there?
Rajegwesi Beach. Marine tourism, swimming, observing animals / plants and cultural (traditional fishing).
Sumbersari. Grazing area of 192 acres to see the attraction of wildlife like sambar, deer, antelope and natural laboratory for research activities.
Sukamade beach. Seeing the attractions that are laying turtles, camping, windsurfing and observation of plants / animals.
Green Bay. Exploring the forest, marine and swimming.
Know Before You Go
- Time to observe turtles in Sukamade Beach is during the dry season. While the rainy season the road to the park is quite bermedan heavy and sometimes cross the river overflowed during heavy rains.
- The best visiting season is February's / July each year.
- You need to bring their own food or buy supplies before entering the park.
- When in Jember you can taste typical food and delicious. Some foods are typical Jember suwar-shredded, Pröll tape, pumpkin porridge, Brownis tape, tape lunkhead, Japanese edamame soybeans, and shrimp paste Ruger. Here are a few places to eat that you can choose in Jember.
- In Jember you can sample delicious carp. Here carp menu served variously as fried, baked, steamed, pan-fried and served with sweet and sour sauce, a spicy coconut sauce well and gravy with spices typical of Indonesia. Dish complete with a spicy sauce and a basket of rice the size of a small banana leaf repose. At first you will feel the bite cast crispy flour crisp and there are no fish in the carp thorns kriuk so delicious eaten with a spicy chili sauce. You will enjoy the village atmosphere.
- There are a variety of activities you can do in Meru National Park Betiri. Jungle Activity Tracking is a pretty challenging either tracking or hiking. This adventure tour you can take route:
- Trans-Gulf Bandealit Meru (stay)-Gulf Permisan (stay)-Sukamade and takes about 2 to 3 days.
- In Sukamade, you can see turtle nesting habitat and ride to the beach, and when hatchlings are hatched reintroduced back into the sea. Types of turtles that you can see is the leatherback, hawksbill, and fission turtle (Ridel). Black ebony leaf monkey and is also found at the edge of the woods bordering the rubber plantations. Before you visit you will see sights Sukamade rubber and cocoa plantations are very rarely found in the world.
- In the village there Rajegwesi conservation and marine tourism. You can spend time to tour the traditional fishing culture as there are here. You can also swim in the natural beaches. Here there is also the Damai Bay of Green Bay and is located not far from the beach Rajegwesi.
- In Bandealit, you can canoeing and swimming. There is also a deer (Cervus timorensis) or see the Rafflesia habitat krecek zollingeriana in blocks. You can also look at Bandealit Japanese Goa.